Scalloped Potatoes and Ham is the perfect pairing of meat and potatoes and a delicious twist on our favorite classic Scalloped Potatoes Recipe! This potato casserole is a filling, family-pleasing dish that will help you use up any leftover ham.
It’s perfect alongside a homemade meatloaf or as an entree with a caesar salad!
How to Make Scalloped Potatoes and Ham
This scalloped potatoes and ham recipe is so basic, needing only a few main ingredients. Russet potatoes are usually the standard recommendation for scalloped potatoes, but truly, any variety will do. I often use a thinner skinned white potato and skip the peeling!
Scalloped ham and potatoes is an easy main dish, there are two easy steps involved.
1. Start by making an easy white sauce
This sauce starts with a roux. Making a roux is not difficult (it just means a mixture of fat and flour) and produces a creamy white sauce. If you’d like, you can add cheese to the sauce (making this more like a Potatoes Au Gratin).
- Cook diced onions in butter until tender.
- Stir in the flour and cook briefly.
- Turn heat to low and add the liquid a little bit at a time, stirring or whisking after each addition.
2. Layer the Casserole & Bake
- Peel & slice the potatoes and dice the ham (we use leftover Honey Baked Ham or Baked Ham with Brown Sugar Glaze).
- Layer potatoes, ham and sauce in a 9×13 pan, cover and bake.
- If you’d like, top with the shredded cheese for the last 15 minutes.
3. Rest & Serve
It’s best if this scalloped potatoes with ham casserole rests for 10-15 minutes before serving the same way you would with a lasagna recipe. This allows the potatoes to continue to soften and the sauce to set up so it’s not runny.
What to Serve with Ham and Scalloped Potatoes
Ham and scalloped potatoes are filling, we treat it like a dinner entrée . Creamy, starchy and rich, scalloped potatoes with ham combines best with sides that are fresh and green or a side salad. Serve it with steamed broccoli or roasted green beans, lightly seasoned with a little balsamic vinegar or squeeze of lemon.
If you’re having guests, dress it up a little by serving it with wine! What wine goes with ham and scalloped potatoes? Don’t stress too much about red or white! When it comes to hearty, comfort food like cheesy scalloped potatoes and ham, either will do.
Cheesy scalloped potatoes and ham and ham is a rich, creamy dish, and will pair well with wines that a little on the sweeter side that have a pleasant acidity. Try with a white Riesling, Moscato or Lambrusco.
More Love for Spuds!
- Crock Pot Scalloped Potatoes – easy and amazing
- Crispy Oven Baked Potato Skins – perfect appetizer
- Twice Baked Potato Casserole – such a delicious side!
- Potatoes Au Gratin – cheesy!
- Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes – delicious and healthy
- Scalloped Potatoes Recipe