This homemade vegetable soup is a healthy vegetarian version of chicken noodle soup that’s way more delicious. It features turmeric and lots of veggies!
A few weeks ago, Alex, Larson and I got hit by the flu. After we resurfaced into the land of the living, the only thing Alex could imagine eating was soup. You know, that noodle soup that your mom made you to nurse you back to health? Alex took stock of our pantry and whipped up a simple homemade vegetable soup. It had turmeric broth and tons of flavor, basically a vegetarian version of chicken noodle soup. Whether you’re looking for the best soup when sick or just an easy cozy vegetable soup, this recipe will hit the spot! Keep reading.
How to make homemade vegetable soup
This homemade vegetable soup is the very definition of easy to make. It’s basically a whole food plant based (WFPB) version of chicken noodle soup, full of healthy veggies and restorative spices. Since we created it as the best soup for sick kiddos or adults, it’s even simpler than most of our recipes! To make the base recipe of this homemade vegetable soup, all you’ll have to do is:
- Dice an onion, carrots and celery.
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, saute the veggies until tender, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the broth and spices and bring it to a simmer. Once simmering, add the noddles and cook until tender, about 10 minutes. That’s it!
Featured ingredient: turmeric!
This vegetarian soup also features turmeric. What’s turmeric? It’s the main ingredient in the golden milk recipes and golden lattes that are currently sweeping the internet. Because turmeric has some potential restorative properties and we love the flavor, we added a good amount of this golden spice to make for a vibrant broth.
By the way, you can use turmeric in lots of dishes from yellow rice to vegan nacho cheese! Head to our Top 12 Turmeric Recipes.
Add any veggies you like to customize this vegetable soup!
Because it has a short ingredient list, this homemade vegetable soup is easily customizable! Add any quick cooking vegetables you love: such as canned beans (already cooked), canned tomatoes, celery, or handfuls of leafy greens. To make this into a more filling vegetable soup, we’d add a can of drained and rinsed white beans, a few handfuls of spinach, and a can of fire-roasted tomatoes. Speaking of making it more filling…
Make it a meal!
This homemade vegetable soup is a bit minimalist because it’s designed as one of the best soups for when you’re sick! It also goes over very well for kid palates that aren’t used to a lot of strong flavors or textures. We loved it because it tastes like a vegetarian version of canned chicken noodle soup, only it tastes way better!
If you wanted to make it into a meal, add some protein. Serve it with a grilled cheese sandwich, or a salad with lots of protein (beans, grains, legumes, nuts, and seeds). Or, add a baked good like cornbread, biscuits, or popovers.
You also could make this into a heartier vegetable soup recipe by adding one of the following:
- 15-ounce can white beans or chickpeas (drained and rinsed) when you add the noodles
- 15-ounce can of diced tomatoes when you add the spices
- A few handfuls baby spinach at the last few minutes of the cooking time (or kale or chard, just cook those for a little longer since they’re tougher)
- Grated Parmesan cheese or a dollop of Greek yogurt
How to cut vegetables for soup
The only real thing you need to know to make soup is how to cut the vegetables! If you’re a kitchen pro, you can skip ahead to the recipe. But if you’re a beginner, we created a few videos that can help you cut veggies quickly. While the carrot and celery in the recipe are easy to dice, onion and garlic present more issues for beginners. Here are our methods:
- How to Cut an Onion:We actually have a trick on how to quickly cut an onion (Rachael Ray does it this way, too!).
- How to Mince Garlic:Our method for how to mince garlic will have you cutting like the pros do in no time.
This vegetable soup recipe is…
Vegetarian, vegan, plant-based and dairy-free. For gluten-free, use gluten-free pasta.
Looking for more soup recipes?
Outside of this homemade vegetable soup recipe, here are a few of our favorite soup recipes:
- Instant Pot Wild Rice Soup Recipe
- Tomato Basil Gnocchi Soup
- Tortellini Soup with Basil
- Moroccan Spiced Cauliflower Soup
- Easy Tomato Basil Soup
- Creamy Corn Chowder
- Chipotle Black Bean Tortilla Soup
- Classic Vegetarian Chili
- Tomato Coconut Cauliflower Curry
- Creamy Vegan Tomato Soup with Stars
- Italian Vegetable and Gnocchi Soup
- Tomato Lime Indian Soup Recipe
- Easy Korean Ramen
- Vegan Split Pea Soup
- Spring Minestrone
- 25 Best Vegetarian Soup Recipes
- 25 Best Vegan Soup Recipes
- Easy Vegan Recipes for Beginners