This casserole is basically foolproof and just jam-packed with flavor! You can make if pretty far in advance and reheat before serving making it perfect for that busiest time of year, the holidays!
Pro Tips to make Green Bean casserole
- Try deglazing the pan of mushrooms with some brandy or bourbon towards the end. The alcohol will burn off but you’ll get a great depth of flavor!
- If you prefer to use fresh green beans: remove the top and bottom of each pod. Blanch in boiling water for two minutes and sauté in some butter with salt and pepper to taste to further soften and enhance the flavor.
- Hate mushrooms? Don’t bother using them! The dish will still taste great.
- Try using the white sauce recipe below in place of cream of mushroom soup for a made from scratch option.
Look at those mushrooms and green beans suspended in a creamy cheesy sauce all topped with golden fried onions. So tasty!!
Using Fresh Green Beans for this casserole
If you prefer to use fresh green beans for this dish remove the top and bottom of each pod. You can also cut them in half for more manageable bites. Blanch in salted boiling water for two minutes and sauté in some butter with salt and pepper to taste to further soften and enhance the flavor.
I love this dish with canned green beans but the fresh ones will have more texture, color and a bit more flavor as well.
Making green bean casserole in advance
If you’re going all out for a holiday dinner you will want to make as much in advance as possible.
You can make this dish a day or two ahead of time and keep it covered in the fridge, just don’t add the onions on top yet. Take the casserole out of the fridge before you start heating the oven so it comes closer to room temperature, then bake according to the directions below. If it’s going into the oven colds you may need to add another 5 minutes on the initial bake time.
You can freeze the casserole for up to a month. Make as directed without adding the crispy onions on tip then wrap in plastic and foil. When you’re ready to bake just unwrap and top with foil. Bake until center is warm (about 40-50 minutes). Top with crispy onions and bake an additional 10-15 minutes.
Green Bean casserole without cream of mushroom soup
- Add 1 cup milk and 1/3 cup chicken stock to a bowl and microwave for 2 minutes.
- Melt 4 tablespoons butter in a medium pot over medium-high heat and add 1/4 cup flour.
- Whisk over heat for a minute to cooke the flour.
- Pour in warm milk mixture along with 1/2 tsp salt, a pinch of pepper and any herbs/spices you like. I always grate in some fresh nutmeg.
- Whisk over heat until thickened.
How to Make Green Bean Casserole
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Half your mushrooms and in a medium pan, heat butter and sauté the mushrooms with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour the cream of mushroom in a large bowl.
- Add milk, salt and pepper to taste.
- When the mushrooms are nice and sautéed, pour them in the bowl.
- Go ahead and add the green beans, fried onions and give it a good mix.
- Transfer to an 8×8 casserole pan and add cheddar and gouda to the top. Bake for 20 minutes, take out and add more fried onions to the top. Put it back in the oven to bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until golden and crispy.
IF YOU LOVE THIS RECIPE TRY THESE OUT!
Sweet Potato Casserole
Pumpkin Pie Recipe
Creamy Chicken Casserole
If you’ve tried this green bean casserole recipe then don’t forget to leave a rating and let me know how you got on in the comments below, I love hearing from you!