Happy 2016 everyone!! Let’s start this new year right with a healthy recipe! 🙂 This traditional Japanese side dish, Gomae, is loaded with spinach and seasoned with a delicious, creamy sesame dressing.
I am in love with the sesame dressing! And it’s interesting that this dish is named after this dressing. One of my readers pointed out that the word “Goma” essentially means sesame seeds and “Ae” means to dress (Thanks, Franca! :)) And I really can’t get enough of this stuff! Any time I go to a Japanese restaurant, the only dishes I order are basically sushi and gomae. I only wish that the portions were bigger! But now that I have developed my own recipe for gomae, I can help myself to as many portions as I would like! 😀
Not only is this salad delicious but it is healthy too. I mean everyone knows that spinach is good for you, but do we really know just how good? Well, I did some research and this is what I found:
- low in fat and low in cholesterol
- provides protein
- loaded with vitamins: niacin, vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin E, vitamin K, thiamin, vitamin B6, folate
- loaded with minerals: zinc, calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, copper, manganese
- high in fibre
- acts as an antioxidant
- lowers the risk of cancer
- promotes a healthy cardiovascular system
- lowers blood pressure
- improves bone health
- maintains brain function, memory and mental clarity
Okay, guys… looks like Popeye was on to something. So what are you waiting for? Start 2016 right by trying this recipe for a delicious way to eat this POWER FOOD!