These cinnamon baked apples are easy enough for tonight, but double as the perfect dessert for friends and family (or the holidays). These just might beat apple pie! Jump to the Baked Cinnamon Apples Recipe or read on to see how we make them.
Watch Us Make The Recipe
How to Make The Best Baked Cinnamon Apples
The topping for the apples comes straight out of our popular apple crisp recipe. It’s really simple. Just flour, oats, brown sugar, cinnamon and melted butter. You can put it on anything and it would taste amazing, but when you blanket apples with it, it’s insane!
We like to bake our apples cut in halves. You could go the more traditional route and make a well in the center of each apple and stuff the topping down the middle, but by halving the apples, we use more of that topping I was talking about. We like our topping-to-apple ratio to be high. I said this baked apples recipe was easy, let me show you how easy!
Start by halving each apple — we used honey crisp apples, here, but any firm and sweet apple should work. Use a spoon to remove the core and any seeds. Then line the apple halves up in a baking dish and scatter a little brown sugar and cinnamon over them.
Now, the topping. Melt some butter in a saucepan then dump flour, oats, brown sugar, cinnamon and a little salt into the butter — do it in the saucepan for less dishes!
Divide the topping between the apples, pressing down gently and then they are ready to be baked.
Slide them into the oven for 40 minutes then get your ice cream ready! And maybe some salted caramel sauce. Then that’s it, a dessert that’s easy enough for tonight, but 100% amazing enough for friends and family (or the holidays)!
More Apple Desserts
- Our Favorite Apple Pie — This recipe guarantees apple pie with perfectly cooked (not mushy) apples surrounded by a thickened and gently spiced sauce all baked inside a flaky, golden brown crust.
- Simple Apple Tart — How to make a stunning apple tart with a buttery crust, thinly sliced apples, and toasted almonds.
- Apple Pie Cupcakes — A fun and easy apple pie cupcake recipe made with cinnamon roll dough, spiced apples and a crumble topping. How can it go wrong?
- Dutch Baby Pancakes with Apples — How to make the best tall, fluffy Dutch baby pancakes with tender apples. The perfect breakfast or dessert!
- Easy Apple Crisp — This apple crisp recipe with oats has sweet tender apples and a crisp and crunchy topping made with flour, oats, brown sugar, butter, and cinnamon.
Recipe updated, originally posted October 2015. Since posting this in 2012, we have added a recipe video and tweaked the recipe to be more clear. – Adam and Joanne