Every year when I bite into the first summer tomato, I wonder what on earth it is I’ve been eating the whole rest of the year. Here to celebrate the return of those ruby red jewels, I have a light and refreshing Cucumber Tomato Avocado Salad.
Cucumber Tomato Avocado Salad is part crunchy, part creamy, and entirely what I crave when the days are still hot and the nights are sunny and long. Like my favorite Creamy Cucumber Salad, it’s refreshing and crisp, never soggy, and is begging to be topped with fresh herbs.
The veggies—a blend of cucumber, red onion, and whatever tomatoes in your garden or at the market look best—are crisp and juicy. The avocado is buttery and luscious. The lime dressing is zippy and ties the salad together like a bright citrus bow.
Take this tomato avocado salad to your next party. Or make it tonight for dinner and serve it with some simply grilled chicken. Then tomorrow, toss the leftovers with arugula and chickpeas and pack it for lunch.
Whatever excuse you need to make this Cucumber Tomato Avocado Salad, just promise me that you will soon.
How to Make Cucumber Tomato Avocado Salad
Just about everything you need to know about this salad, you can learn from the name. Don’t overthink it.
The magnificent thing about summer recipes like this avocado and tomato salad with lime is how simple they are. We’re taking the bounty of the season, dressing it up in a lively citrus vinaigrette, and wondering how on earth life got to be this easy and this good.
As with the most simple recipes, it’s important to be thoughtful in your ingredient selection.
- Tomatoes. Pick ones that are juicy and ripe. When in doubt, I recommend cherry tomatoes or grape tomatoes, since they are almost always sweet (even slightly out of season).
- Cucumber. I like an English cucumber here, because you don’t need to peel it. If you have a regular cucumber, peel it first (use a vegetable peeler like this one or better yet, a Y-shaped peeler like this one), split it down the center, and scoop out any large seeds.
- Red Onion. My favorite raw red onion tip: thinly slice the onion, then soak it in water for a few minutes before adding it to the salad. This preserves its flavor while mitigating the harsh, lingering aftertaste.
- Avocado. Its creamy texture is a lovely contrast to the crispness of the cucumber. It makes the salad more filling too.
- Feta Cheese. Not entirely necessary but a very good idea. For a Mexican avocado salad spin, try swapping it for queso fresco.
- Fresh Herbs. I like cilantro or dill, but any tender fresh herbs are delish here.
The avocado cucumber salad dressing is a quick whisk of lime juice, olive oil, honey, and garlic. It takes moments and brings the ingredients together.
Cucumber Tomato Avocado Salad – Recipe Variations
- Change up the herbs! Swap the dill or parsley for whatever you have fresh in your garden. A Tomato Cucumber Avocado Basil Salad is next on my list.
- Mexican Avocado Salad. Customize this salad with some delicious add-ins like jalapeno or corn and use cilantro as the fresh herb.
- Chicken Cucumber Tomato Avocado Salad. Add protein to make this a full meal! Shredded chicken is a simple and delicious addition. Check out my posts on How To Cook Shredded Chicken and Instant Pot Shredded Chicken for fast ways to cook the chicken.
- Go Green. Mix the leftovers with arugula or spinach to add even more veggies. I’d suggest making a little extra of the dressing to make sure you have enough to properly coat it.
Storage and Make-Ahead Tips
This salad tastes better about a few hours after it rests, so it’s perfect for entertaining!
- You can prep it up to 6 hours ahead of a party. Give it a big stir just before serving.
- To deter the avocado from turning brown, I like to add the avocado immediately before serving.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 1 day. The avocado will brown slightly and the vegetables will become more liquidy, but the salad will still taste delicious. You can also perk the leftovers back up with a squirt of extra lime juice and sprinkle of salt.
I hope this healthy, tasty Cucumber Tomato Avocado Salad adds a note of lightness and brightness to your week. Enjoy this summer day and every bite of bounty that comes along with it!