This Crockpot Chili is simple to prepare and will make everyone happy at dinner time. It’s a family favorite!
Crockpot Chili is one of those hearty and delicious recipes that is perfect for nearly any occasion. Prepared with just six basic ingredients and spices, you’ll definitely want to add this simple chili recipe to your weekly meal plan.
The beauty of crock pot recipes is that it lets you prep everything in the morning, pop it in the slow cooker (or slow cooker setting on your electric pressure cooker) and come home to a ready-to-go dinner. I love my chili with some sweet cornbread, and peanut butter cookies for dessert!
Crock Pot Chili
Crockpot Chili, ingredients
- Ground Beef – You’ll be pouring off the fat, so using lean ground beef will save you some time. In a pinch, any type of ground beef will work.
- Onion – We use a sweet yellow onion for this post. I like my chili with lots so I go big with the onion!
- Green Bell Pepper – The pepper adds a nice pop of color. Dice it small so that it’s flavor blends in.
- Red Kidney Beans – I know some people leave the beans out, but we love that these add great flavor and fiber to the recipes.
- Canned Tomatoes with Chili – Ro*Tel Original Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies is the brand I use, but most stores will carry a home brand as well.
- Spices -Chili powder, cayenne powder, cumin, salt, and pepper. It’s just not chili without bringing in some heat!
- Garlic Powder – using garlic powder is such a time saver, but you can add some fresh for about a minute before your onions are done if you’d prefer.
- Sugar – Sugar in chili? Yes! The sugar helps temper the bitterness of the chili for a nice, warm mouth feel.
- Panko Breadcrumbs – You can substitute some crushed crackers if you don’t have the panko.
How do you make Crockpot Chili?
⭐ First, cook the beef and drain off the fat.
⭐ Next, saute the onion in the same pan.
⭐ Then, add all ingredients to you slow cooker or electric pressure cooker.
⭐ Finally, cook for the prescribed time and come home to some warm and homey slow cooker chili!
What is Crockpot Chili?
Crock pot chili is a traditional chili, which is basically a thick sauce of meat and chili peppers or spices. There are debates about adding beans (I’m pro-bean) and what types of meats, but I say just fix it like you like it! Here are some answers to your most frequently asked questions about slow cooker chili recipes.
What is Texas Chili?
Texas chili is a chili stew that traditionally has only meat and spices, no tomatoes or beans. Texan’s call it a “Bowl O’ Red!”
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you adapt a Slow Cooker Chili recipe to an electronic pressure cooker?
You can adapt your slow cooker chili to an electronic pressure cooker, like an Instant Pot! Brown the beef and onions on the saute’ function as directed, add the ingredients, and cook on high pressure for 30 minutes!
Can I change the meat in the slow cooker chili?
You change the meat in slow cooker chili. One of the great things about chili is that it’s super versatile. You can sub the beef for ground chicken, turkey, pork, or more beans.
If you like it spicier, add some chipotle powder or a second can of Ro*Tel. We love our veggies so sometimes I’ll toss in extra green peppers and tomatoes.
We always keep Ro*Tel on hand for chili, dips, soups, and so much more!
To cook Crock Pot Chili in a slow cooker, you’ll need 4-6 hours. Use your electric pressure cooker and have it done in 30 minutes!
Can you put raw meat in Crockpot Chili?
You can put raw meat in your Crockpot Chili, but it will not have that caramelized taste that browning brings. If you’re really pushed for time, you should use the high setting to make sure your meat doesn’t sit at a low temperature for too long.
Do you add water to Crockpot Chili?
You do not need to add water to Crockpot Chili. Ideally your slow cooker chili will blend the flavors into a thick stew.
Do you drain kidney beans for chili?
Yes, you drain kidney beans for chili. I do recommended rinsing and draining kidney beans when making your chili. Again, I like my chili to be a thick stew and I have heard that the bean liquid may increase gassiness.
Is it safe to leave the slow cooker on overnight?
It is safe to leave the slow cooker on overnight, as it is designed to be left on for long periods. However, always make sure you are following the manufacturer’s guidelines! Cooking it overnight means you can package it up for everyone’s lunch that day!
How long should chili cook in a slow cooker?
Slow cooker chili should cook around 4 hours on high, or 6 hours on low.
You can serve your Crock Pot Chili as a dish and add some sides (linked below). You could also serve it spooned over baked potatoes, rice, pasta, or a hot dog!
Mac and Cheese
More Chili Recipes!
Still feeling that chili urge? Try some of the variations below!
Chili Recipe (no beans)
Wendy’s Chili recipe
See all our easy chili recipes!
Crockpot Chili Making Tools
- Santuko knife – My favorite knife for cutting vegetables! This knife is the perfect size and shape, handles great, and is super reasonably priced. Also, I just love that it’s fun and colorful!
- Calphalon everyday pan – This is a 12″ two handled pan that you will use pretty much every day. Which, of course is why it’s called an everyday pan. I have this one and the Le Creuset version. I use a whole lot of pots and pans in my line of work (apologies to my husband, the dishwasher!) and these are by far my most frequently used pans.
- Instant Pot electric pressure cooker – Hey there working parent! It’s me! Also a working parent! Can we talk about how hard it is to get a healthy dinner on the table during the week? So. Hard. Well, Imma tell you – this electric pressure cooker, and my gas grill are the saving graces in our home. A delicious roast with carrots and potatoes in 45 minutes? Yes, please! You’re seriously going to love this one!
- End grain cutting board – This is my absolute favorite cutting board and the one that I get the most compliments on. And p.s. I have a lot of cutting boards. It really is absolutely stunning, and knows how to take a beating. We use it every single day!
Love this recipe? Join Us For More!
Follow us below!Use #mamalovesfood on Instagram!
Want the latest?recipes & travel straight to your inbox
How to Make Crockpot Chili
If you like slow cooker recipes, you’ll definitely want to try our crock pot ham next!
We originally partnered with Mirum on this post, and you’ll be glad we did! Opinions are 100% my own.