I won’t tell you how Solal, my husband, and I absolutely devoured these zucchini tots in one sitting. Or maybe I should tell you – so that you really understand how super duper delicious they are!
Actually, to tell you the truth, it was mostly me lol. I ate about 2/3rd for lunch, and when Solal asked for more I said “sorry, they’re all gone!” I didn’t bother to specify “in my stomach”. Maybe he just thought I made a small batch lol.
These zucchini tots are:
- packed with sneaky veggies aka zucchini
- perfect for kids and adults
- crispy on the outside and soft inside
- extra cheesy with sharp cheddar and parmesan
- freezer friendly
- gluten free if you use gluten free breadcrumbs like me
What to eat with zucchini tots?
Zucchini tots can be served many ways.
They are delicious on their own as an appetizer, a snack and even a main dish. You can perfectly have them as a meatless meal if you eat a bigger portion, with maybe some rice or a Mediterranean salad on the side.
You can also serve zucchini tots as a side. They would be fantastic with grilled chicken, meat patties (chicken, beef or turkey!) or a steak for instance.
How to make zucchini tots – Step by step
First, you need to squeeze out as much moisture from the zucchini as you can.
To do that, place the shredded zucchini in a fine-mesh sieve placed over a bowl and sprinkle with sea salt. This will help the zucchini release as much liquid as possible. (step 1)
Let it sit for about 10 minutes and squeeze, squeeze, squeeze. (step 2)
In a large bowl, add the grated zucchini, onion, garlic, egg, herbs, cheddar, parmesan, salt and pepper. (step 3) Mix until well combined (step 4).
Then add the breadcrumbs (step 5) and mix again until well combined (step 6)
Now it’s time to shape these zucchini tater tots!
Pack the mixture into a tablespoon measuring spoon (pack as much as you can!) (step 7), then place the mound in the palm of your wet hand (step 8) and shape a tot with your fingers (step 9).
Place the tots on a lined baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes at 400F/200C, flip them and bake for another 10 minutes.
Take them out of the oven and enjoy! I like to serve them with marinara sauce or when I’m feeling extra, with ketchup – so good!
Can you freeze zucchini tots?
You sure can!
To freeze, place the cooked and cooled zucchini tots in an airtight container and freeze them for up to one month.
To eat, place frozen tots on a baking sheet and bake for 10 to 15 minutes at 400C/200C until heated through.
Tips to make zucchini tots
- I know it’s annoying, but do squeeze the moisture out of the zucchini or you’ll end up with with soggy tater tots instead of these beautiful cheesy crispy babies.
- You can use another type of shredded cheese instead of cheddar and parmesan. For best flavor, I’d recommend using a combo of two types of cheese.
- If you’re short on fresh herbs, you can use only one type. I like the combo of basil, parsley and chives for a maximum of flavor, but it’s fine if you only use one.
- I prefer to use fresh herbs, but you can also use dried herbs.
If you tried these zucchini tots, don’t forget to rate the recipe below and let me know how it went in the comments – I love hearing from you! You can also follow me on Instagram, Pinterest and Fa
More zucchini recipes:
- Cheddar Chive Zucchini Bread (Gluten Free)
- Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread (Gluten Free)
- Lemon Poppyseed Zucchini Bread (Gluten Free)
- Zucchini Lasagna (made with zucchini instead of noodles)
- Zucchini Feta Chives Muffins (Gluten Free)
- Quick and Easy Turkey Bolognese with Zucchini Pasta