Get this family-favorite Beef Stroganoff Recipe that will make you never need another recipe for this tasty dinner again. Juicy strips of beef, creamy sour cream mushroom gravy all served over egg noodles and ready to eat in 30 minutes. It is the ultimate weeknight dinner.
Friends! I am carrying on with my basic recipe series and man oh man, did I forget how delicious this classic Beef Stroganoff is. Originally posted from 2013, this one truly never gets old.
Beef Stroganoff Recipe
This Beef Stroganoff recipe calls for a handful of basic ingredients and only 30 minutes of time start to finish. I love recipes like this! It’s a bit of a retro recipe, having been around for years and years, but there’s a reason it’s withstood the test of time. That creamy mushroom gravy paired with that beef and humble egg noodle is what my dreams are made of. Here’s what you’ll need for Classic Beef Stroganoff:
- Olive Oil – we cook the beef with high heat so we need a non-stick cooking method that can withstand that without burning. The healthy choice, of course, is olive oil.
- Salt and Pepper – these two are used throughout the recipe, season to taste.
- Sirloin Steak – more about this below.
- Onion and Garlic – a great base to this recipe filled with delicious flavor.
- Baby Bella Mushrooms – cleaned and sliced thin.
- Butter and Flour – these are used to make a roux for the sauce.
- Beef Broth – to thin out the roux and to add more flavor.
- Thyme Leaves – for its gentle earthy flavors.
- Dijon Mustard – some spice and some tang.
- Sour Cream and Heavy Cream – I don’t like my beef stroganoff too tangy, like at all, so I added equal parts sour cream and heavy cream. I love the creamy gravy in this, but only if it’s not too tangy. If you like things tangy, simply replace the heavy cream for the sour cream 1:1. Just be sure to keep your stroganoff on low heat until you’re ready to serve to prevent curdling.
What cut of beef to use for Beef Stroganoff
In this recipe, I call for a one-pound sirloin steak, cut across the grain because it’s easy to find and stays mostly tender while cooking. If you don’t have sirloin, try:
- a boneless ribeye steak
- tri-tips, cut into strips
- beef tenderloin cut into strips
How to make Beef Stroganoff
You are only a few steps away from making this tasty dinner of your dreams. Using this simple recipe, you will have beef stroganoff success!
- Heat deep skillet over medium-high heat. Add in olive oil. Sprinkle steak with salt and pepper to taste and brown 30 seconds to 1 minute stirring as you go. Remove steak from the pan and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium. In remaining grease, stir in onions and sprinkle with a little salt. Cook until they start to soften, about 3 minutes. Stir in mushrooms and garlic and cook another 2-3 minutes until all veggies are soft. Remove from pan.
- Melt butter into the pan and sprinkle in flour to create a roux. Cook 1 minute. Whisk in beef broth and scrape up the brown bits on the bottom of the pan. The mixture should thicken after 1-2 minutes.
- Whisk in thyme leaves, dijon mustard, sour cream, heavy cream and a little more salt and pepper. Reduce heat to low. Add in veggies and meat. Stir to coat in sauce, cover and cook on low for 10 minutes.
- Serve over egg noodles.
What to serve with Beef Stroganoff
The classic thing to serve with Beef Stroganoff is egg noodles. Simple, inexpensive, delicious. If you can’t find egg noodles or don’t like egg noodles, try a different short cut pasta, rice or simple boiled or mashed potatoes.
A nice big salad on the side or even some roasted veggies would be super good with this recipe too!
Lucky for you, if you have any leftovers, this beef stroganoff recipe is perfect to keep for the next couple of days. Simply cover in an airtight container and store in the fridge for up to 5 days. Eat it the next day for lunch or as an easy make-ahead dinner.
More Recipes to Love!
- Beef Stew (Crockpot Recipe)
- Hungarian Goulash Recipe
- Crockpot Balsamic Beef with Rosemary
- Kung Pao Chicken (Family Favorite!)
If you have never tried Beef Stroganoff before, you are in for a treat! Be sure to pin, print, save, bookmark, fill in the blank here for this recipe because that’s how good it is!!
Enjoy, friends! xo